Thursday, February 16, 2006

Oh happy day!! Real Winter for the Olympics!




After spending all of 2006 without any snow on the ground, and with temperatures more appropriate for late springtime, it finally snowed!!! And, the schools have a snow day!!! And there are at least 6-10 inches of snow on the ground!! Finally, I am in a Winter Olympics frame of mind. I so envied the east coast for their blizzard a few days ago, and now we have our own blizzard!!! Whoopee!!



My snow photos are not nearly as gorgeous as those of the Knitting Iris, but today is overcast and grey with all the snow clouds and wind.


Instead of sledding and playing in the snow, my daughter and I have been doing our respective homework assignments. I have been working diligently on the new chapter in Spanish and Maddie wrote an essay for history class. As a child, I always thought snow days were for fun, pure fun, playing in the snow and luxuriating in the freedom from school for a day. As an adult, snow days are for completing tasks because you are home-bound. Rats!!

No knitting yet today. However, you can see that I finished the back of the toddler gansey and blocked it to the required measurements. I love the Toasty Toes yarn. The second photo is more representative of the jewel tone colors.



Well, I'm off to the other side of town to pick up my daughter's friend so that they can squeeze in some snow time on the sledding hill.

5 comments:

betta said...

Snow is fun! But I think you are used to it... when it snows in Barcelona, there are queues to reach the Tibidabo... and build a snowman! ;9

By te way, Gail, what is exactly a gansey? I thought it as a cabled sweater.

gail said...

a gansey is a type of pullover sweater, I believe that it originated some place in the British Isles. it has a square construction, the front and back are basically rectangles and the sleeves are put into the top part of the side seams. Usually, I think, the top part of the sweater, about from the chest to the shoulders, has some type of stitch patterning. It could be cables. On the baby sweater, the top patterning is a type of ribbing--k2 p2 on right side and p all on the wrong side. An american has written a book on the history of ganseys and how to make them properly,but I can't recall her name. I'll think of it and send to you.

betta said...

I hope your mother is feling better. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

And thank you Gail, now I undersand. I remember reading an article about this Gansey book in one of the Interweave Knits you lent me last year.

Anonymous said...

Gail:
A lot of kisses for your mom,

nadine said...

I wish we had snow days here!!! :) some trees are already blossoming!!!
Love your pictures.
Big hugs from barcelona!!!!