Saturday, December 17, 2005

Lucy's Paradoxical mittens




When I saw this pattern by Lucy Neatby, I knew I had to make these mittens!! In the instructions, she said that she was inspired by some African motifs. My family lived in Africa for two years, and my step-daughter's step-father is African. Therefore, it was a no-brainer--I had to make them!! Instead of black and white, I chose to make them in red and black. They are done on size 1 needles!!

Now, I don't know about you, but I have numerous needles labeled size 1, all of which seem to be of a different size!! You can see that the bottom portion of the red and black, just above the grey cuff (which will be folded to the inside) is tighter than the upper portion of the hand. This is because I began the mittens on size 1 Crystal Palace, and am finishing the mittens on size 1 Addi Turbo. I believe that the Crystal Palace needles are 2.25 mm and the Addi Turbo are 2.5 mm. This is where American needle sizes drive me nuts!!!! I prefer the European needle sizes, then you know what you are getting. With the 2.25 mm needles, the mittens were too tight.

Here is the obligatory photo of the back side!


I am using Dale of Norway, Baby Ull. such softness belongs on the hands. The double thickness and the tight gauge should make them warm enough for the pacific northwest, where my stepdaughter lives. The pattern is great fun to knit--so very different from anything I usually do.

Yes, these are for Christmas, but my husband travels to visit his daughter on December 28, so I have a few extra days to finish these! Yes!!

4 comments:

Lolita Blahnik said...

Gail, definitivamente, eres mi idolo!!!!

betta said...

Oh! No puedo ver las fotos desde el trabajo! Lo intentaré otra vez desde casa.

GAil, mi marido también ha vivido en África. En que parte vivió tu familia? El estaba en el Zaire, (antes Congo y ahora República del Congo).

all you knit is love said...

Those are gorgeous! I hope we get to see a finished pic before they go off to their new owner!

Anonymous said...

That is one cool mitten pattern! I like it! I have not tried Fair Isle yet. Someday...

Susan