Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Milestones

Milestones, those markers on the road of life that let us know that we have accomplished something. Somehow our lives are changed when passing the milestones--usually for the good. I passed an important milestone on May 20, and I hope it is good. I finally received my masters degree in library and information studies. I also am now eligible to receive the appropriate license to be a school librarian.

I knit my way through many classes, until the classes became so complicated that I needed both hands to take notes!! Information technology was one such class, as was information architecture and cataloging.

Here I am in my robe, hood and hat with my daughter #2! She was more excited about my graduation than I was!! She earned it--she got me up to go to my 7:45 a.m. Spanish class more than once. And she set an example of how to stick to one's homework until it is done. And how to keep at it until you understand it. And how to go to school even when you are not feeling well--no wimp scholar is she!! High school kids have a hard life; harder than I ever had it and harder than my graduate school life.



Here I am with my parents. I am wearing my father's PhD robe, the one he wore when he was a faculty member and marched in annual graduation processions. I wore the robe out of respect for his accomplishment. He started college when I was 1 month old, after he returned from WWII. He finished his PhD when I was 16--and there were a total of five children in the family. He worked full time and studied whenever he could. Of course, my mother sacrificed a lot to achieve the goal--she deserves an honorary PhD. (She never went to college because she was at home taking care of us kids.) Nothing I experienced as a late in life graduate student compared with the hard times they had making ends meet and burning the candle at both ends.
Knitting milestones are also important. Blocking an item is like a graduation, of sorts. all the coursework is completed; all the papers are handed in and this is the ultimate final step before sending it off into the world to do good!! Here is my Shaped Triangle Shawl from Gathering of Lace; the one I started in 2002 after Knitting Camp. Or, maybe I started it in 2003. At any rate, I purchased the yarn, Joslyn's lace weight yarn called angel hair, at Knitting Camp. (the yarn is truly deserving of the name. It is wonderful laceweight yarn!!) The shawl sat smushed in a bag for years and I finally retrieved it this winter. I vowed to finish it by June 1, and I blocked it this evening!!!

Ignore the little blips--There are some in the photos. I'm planning on wearing it with great pride, even with the little problems for which I did NOT rip back. I ripped back for a number of problems, let me assure you. But, at some point I just had to get this baby done!!



And done it is!! The temperatures are in the mid to upper 80's this week and I don't have anyplace to wear this. Maybe I'll have my husband take me out to dinner at an air conditioned restaurant. I plan to wear it to Knitting Camp beginning July 5, regardless of the temperature!!!!

Where do all of you wear your shawls?? Do you have an elegant life that I don't?? Maybe I should celebrate finishing the shawl and graduation all in one!! Although, dh already paid for a dinner for 10 family and friends after the ceremony........ Clearly, I need more milestones to celebrate by wearing my shawls!

10 comments:

sherriknits said...

Congratulations!!! I love that you learned from your daughter.
Your shawl is so pretty. Some of my friends wear theirs just with t-shirts and jeans and look great. I am making one but not sure how I will wear it either. lol For some reason I think everyone looks better in them than I would.

HPNY KNITS said...

congrats on the graduation!!! I love the fact you are the graduating person in the pic with your daughter.
the shawl is AMAZING! since I have been doing some easy lace the last few weeks- I can now appreciate even more the work. its fab. as far as wearing it- here in NYC its freezing t in the summer. buses, stores, offices, restaurants, theatres and some homes- kept too cold.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Gail on the graduation!!! It is a special feeling , and a big milestone. I wish you all the best for the future.
Your shawl is a beauty, and makes me want to knit one for myself.

debolsillo said...

Muchísimas felicidades Gail.Besos

Melissa said...

Congratulations!! I'm so proud of you. Hey, one of the schools in our system has an opening for a librarian. Wanna move to Louisiana? :)
Your daughter is gorgeous and the shawl is amazing.
Congrats to your parents also. It's a big accomplishment for them too.

yvette said...

Congratulations, what a great achievement.

K8 said...

Thanks for your comment.

Congratulations on graduation - that's a really beautiful shawl!

kamikazeknits said...

Congratulations Gail! What a great achievement, you must feel great!

I wear my shawls just about for anything, with jeans, dresses, to take movies back to the video store, whatever. My latest will be used to wrap Tura in when we bring her home from the hospital!

Michelle said...

Congrats on you graduation and on finishing your beautiful shawl. I just wear all my shawls with jeans and a t-shirt.

The Heere Be Dragone Shawl can be purchased from Aurora Alpacas via phone or email for $12.

http://www.aurora-alpacas.com/

Or you can now buy it as a kit on Etsy for $50.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5049006&order=§ion_id=&page=1

Lorette said...

Congratulations, belatedly! That is a very great accomplishment, indeed.
The shawl is gorgeous!